Friday, March 16, 2007

The Race For MVP

The race for MVP is on and in a lot of minds Dirk Nowitzki is the leading candidate but not in mine. If someone asked me today who I would give the MVP to I would start by saying that they should not have an MVP as it is an utterly subjective award. As for me I think that Shaq is always the MVP because without him a team with D Wade could not get over the 500 mark but with him they are on an 8 game win streak. Now I'm not saying that Shaq is going to get the award but he should. He is the Most Valuable Player to his team. Now on the other hand Shaq did not play most of the year and I know some of you are saying 'how can you say he is the MVP." It is true that Shaq was out for most of the year but what I'm saying is all that showed was just how valuable he is. So after saying all that I have to say that this award is more Best Player than Most Valuable Player. If you are going off of that criteria then my Best Player of the year award list looks something like this.

  1. Steve Nash- His 20 points and 11 assists a game speak for themselves but he does all the little things too like leading the team in taking charges.
  2. Dirk Nowitzki- The best 7 foot shooter ever, he does however have a problem coming through in the clutch.
  3. Tim Duncan- The best power forward in history. Need I say more? How about 20 and 10 a game and the only thing that gives his team a chance of wining the west.
  4. Kobe Bryant- Yeah Yeah I'm a homer but you all know damn well that you do not want to play the Lakers come playoffs and he is why. He could just go off for a 100.
  5. Tracy McGrady- If we are talking best player this guy should be on every list.









1 comment:

The Wannabe Columnist said...

Good point with Shaq, bro. I think the Heat really grouped together when Wade went down, and said "you know, we have to get something going or we might miss the playoffs." I think Shaq really rehabilitated himself into playing like the dominating Shaq we seen in the late 90's and early 00's. I mean, Miami defeated Cleveland, and then the next week, they defeated their rivals, Detroit.